Thursday, April 8, 2010

More Diligent and Concerned at Home

I really enjoyed reading this talk. Very inspiring words to get me up and doing.

Elder Bednar talks of three things that we should be doing in our homes so that we can be more diligent and concerned in our homes. So that we can make our homes the best they can be.

1. Express love-and show it
2. Bear testimony-and live it
3. Be consistent

With each one of these things he says that many of us already know that we should be doing these things, "but what we know is not always reflected in what we do...as disciples of the Savior, we are not merely striving to know more; rather we need to consistently do more of what we know is right and become better."

I think this is true for me as well. I feel like I continue to gain great knowledge from reading the scriptures, attending church, preparing talks, listening to conferene, etc, but I'm not sure if I always take what I have learned and live it. At least not always to the fullest that I possibly can.

One of the last things he talks about is hypocrisy. He says that if we are to teach these things in our homes, then we must make sure that we are living these things. Little children are always watching. If we are preaching one thing and not actually living what we are teaching, they will notice. He says, "The hypocrisy in our lives is most readily discerned and causese the greatest destruction within our own homes. And children often are the most alert and sensitive when it comes to recognizing hypocrisy." How does that look to a child when they see their own parents not obeying what they have learned? This will in no way encourage them to live as we are asking them to. They need to see us doing these things in our homes.

"We can become more diligent and concerned at home as we are more faithful in learning, living, and loving the restored gospel of Jesus Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment